Thursday, September 30, 2010

Infrared Overkill

I decided to try an alternative for the IR LEDs mounted to the eye tracker. Thus, inspired by a youtube Video by W. Piechulla (I think... cannot find it again), I came up with the idea of using light bulbs as an IR source.
Conventional light bulbs emmit 95% of their energy in IR light and only 5% in visible light.
I made aa test with two 40 Watt bedlamps, but they proved to be to weak. So I bought two 100 Watt IR lamps for 9 € each and set them up. Those are usually used for curing backaches... Howver, they now function as stationary IR sources on my desk, so that I am able to use GazeTracker in "Remote-Tracking" mode with 2 glints. Doing so, I no longer have to keep my head still for an accurate tracking... but now I have to full infrared overkill :)




3 comments:

  1. Hi. It's impressive work you doing there. I am trying to figure out how to use IR lamps to do eyetracking too using ITU software.

    Your dual-IR lamps looks impressive! But is it as bright as it looks in real life as it is in your photo? I mean, it would be quite annoying for the users to see two big red light shining at them when viewing the computer monitor.

    I am trying a more moderate version using about 20 IR LED on a panel. Still experimenting...

    Eric (Hong Kong, China)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Eric,

    I have switched to two standard 25 watt light bulbs instead of the two 100 watt IR bulbs.
    Additionally, I covered both bulbs with a piece of paper so that no direct light comes into my eyes.
    The final construction is documented in my final theses. However, I am still waiting on the results from my professor ;) That is why I have not published my theses here in my blog...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm trying to do some gaze experiments myself. I have some concerns about the IR-lighting and I wonder if it's actually save to use 25 Watt lights? Did you do some calculations before you used such a strong light source?

    ReplyDelete